The anti-cancer benefits of garlic, as reported in Dr. Servan-Schreiber’s book Anti-Cancer, page 121-122:
- reduce carcinogenic effects of nitrosamie and N-nitroso compounds in food
- promote the death of cancer cells in colon, breast, lung, prostate and leukemia cancers
- possible reduction in kidney and prostate cancer in people who consume the most garlic
- help regulate blood sugar so that cancer cells don’t grow as much
And…here are a few tips on how to prepare garlic to maximize the bio-active healthy components:
- According to Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center’s database About Herbs, Botanicals, and Other Products, “Preparation of garlic, such as heating, microwaving, or drying, can substantially reduce the allyl sulfur compounds (allicin and alliin). Crushed raw garlic is highest in these components..”
- According to the American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR), crushing OR chopping garlic is the best way to maximize the bio-active healthy components of garlic.
- AICR suggests that you wait 10-15 minutes after crushing or chopping the garlic so that the anti-cancer substances have a chance to become activated. AICR video
For more on the health benefits of garlic, see the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center’s website about Herbs, Botanicals and Other Products. (Note: At this link there is a consumer and also a health professional tab. It’s worth reading both of them – or at least skimming the professional information and reading through the consumer information.)
Enjoy and be healthy!