We had guests this weekend and I served zucchini – as part of our breakfast. They loved it and asked for the recipe. The recipe is so easy, it’s hardly a recipe! But then again, because it’s so simple, it’s my favorite way to prepare succulent and delicious zucchini. Maybe it will become yours too.
- 4 very small to small zucchini or summer squash
- Using the point of a sharp knife, along the length of one side of each zucchini, make 1/2-inch slits, about 1/2 inch apart. Note: If you make the slits lengthwise, you will get fewer slits per inch than if you make the slits perpendicular to the length of the zucchini. Since you want more slits, make the slits perpendicular to the length of the zucchini. Then, turn zucchini over and make slits on the other side.
- Place the prepared zucchini into a rectangular glass container suitable for the microwave. Note: The 5 x 7-inch container I use fits 4 small zucchini, side by side. The timing for this recipe is for 4 very small zucchini that just fit into this container.
- Place a microwave cover over the container with the zucchini. This is important because sometimes a zucchini bursts. By using a cover, the pieces of the burst zucchini end up on the cover and not all over your microwave.
- Cover and microwave on high for 4 minutes. Rotate the zucchini: Take the 2 zucchini from the center of the container and move them to the outside of the container –which means the zucchini from the outside of the container are now on the inside.
- Cook on high for another 2 minutes.
- At this point the zucchini should feel a bit soft yet still crisp to the touch. Instead of cooking them longer, I just pop the lid onto the container and let the zucchini steam-cook in their own heat for a few minutes until evenly cooked through.
- Note: I use the same technique to cook the round zucchini and yellow squash pictured above.
- Serve as is or add an herb sauce or pesto!
Check out my PINTEREST board for more great recipes with zucchini!
- If you are new to Pinterest (as I was until recently), let me assure you it’s easy to get around Pinterest. Here’s how easy:
- Click on the link: Zucchini (Courgettes) and other Summer Squash – recipes.
- Click on a photo of a recipe that interests you, and up will come a larger photo of the same image.
- On the larger photo, you’ll see the “website” button.
- Click on the website button, and you will go to the website where the recipe came from!
- To return to my Pinterest board to see more recipes with zucchini, just click on the Pinterest tab in your browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc.) and then click on the back arrow in your browser.
And, if you are a Pinterest enthusiast like I am, you might want to follow me on Pinterest! Then you’ll see all the recipes that I find online and love!
Share your recipe!
- And if you have a recipe with zucchini or summer squash that you would like to share, you can share your recipe by leaving a comment on this blog.
Enjoy and be healthy!