At a dinner party recently we had a chocolate tasting in place of a traditional dessert. It was a lot of fun!
The chocolates we sampled met the following criteria for healthfulness:
- At least 70% cocoa (or cacao) so you get plenty of antioxidants.
- No emulsifiers. Recent research about gut bacteria and health explains why it’s good to avoid emulsifiers.
- Spag n Vola Single-Estate Premium Dominican Bars. Available online and at the Wine Cabinet in Reston, VA. Swag n Vola makes their chocolate in Gaithersburg, Maryland. (By the way, Spag N Vola offers free tours of their chocolate making facility. I went on their tour and really enjoyed it!)
- Alter Eco Dark Blackout Chocolate Organic. Available on Amazon and at Mom’s Organic Market (in MD and VA).
- Taza Stone Ground Chocolate Organic. Available on Amazon and at Mom’s Organic Market (in MD and VA).
- Undone Chocolate. Available online and at specialty food stores. Company is local to Washington, DC.
- Pascha Organic Dark Chocolate Chips 85% Cacao. Available on Amazon and at Balducci’s (in MD and VA).
- Cacao Nibs. Cacao nibs are broken up cacao beans. So they are 100% cacao! They are bitter and crunchy (like coffee beans). Look for cacao nibs in health food stores and on Amazon. Choose the roasted, not the raw nibs. Roasting reduces the phytates which bind minerals and make them less available.
OUR TASTE TEST WINNERS
- Best taste but at a high price: Spag n Vola
- Great taste and at a great price: Alter Eco
Enjoy and be healthy!