This green smoothie is not sweet but tastes great. It’s loaded with probiotics (good-for-you bacteria) thanks to the kefir and sauerkraut, and it’s chock full of prebiotic fiber (food for the probiotics) courtesy of the dandelion greens.
- 3 cups cut dandelion greens
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut (from refrigerated section or homemade)
- 1 cup low-fat kefir
- 1 tablespoon (or more) fresh chopped dill
STEPS and SERVING SUGGESTIONS
- Just whiz all the ingredients in a high-speed blender! Serve and enjoy! Or pour into a glass bottle and store in refrigerator for up to a few days.
- Serve as an drink or soup. To get the swirled effect (shown in photo), pour some of the green smoothie into a bowl and then slowly pour in kefir, while using the blade of a knife to swirl the kefir into the green smoothie.
RECIPE NOTES + NUTRITION NUGGETS
- Does the smoothie taste a bit too bitter to you? Then use more kefir and choose a brand that tastes less tangy. Here’s a pic of my favorite not very tangy kefir.
- Yogurt or Kefir — Which makes your good gut bugs (probiotic bacteria) happier? Kefir — because it contains more probiotic bacteria — and more different strains of probiotic bacteria. The more diverse the microbiome in your gut, the more healthy your gut microbiome will be. And the healthier it is, the healthier you are!
- Do all sauerkrauts contains probiotics? No! Only those that do not contain preservatives and have not been pasteurized. Look for probiotic-rich sauerkraut, in the refrigerated section of the store or at the farmer’s market. But beware: Some refrigerated sauerkrauts have been pasteurized. Like this one!
- Can probiotics/prebiotics affect how you feel? Yes! New research says social anxiety might not be in your head, but in your gut!
Enjoy and be healthy!